Sunday, March 18, 2012

Guest Blog: The Importance of Journaling



Many writers keep journals or diaries. Some use it as a space within which to jot ideas, notes, and observations. Some use it to record day-to-day or traveling experiences. Some use journaling to explore personal emotional and psychological growth, and to promote healing. There are as many ways to awaken creativity with journaling, as there are people who journal.


Most people keep their journals private. Some publish their journals. Journal writers who become famous (politicians and a few writers, for example), may have their journals published after their deaths, whether they desired it or not. (A good reason to make sure no one knows where you hide yours.) 


Writing in a private journal can give one a place to explore ideas, thoughts, and feelings without the need or worry of self-censoring - an exploration that can be a writer's best friend.


My guest blogger for this week shares his thoughts and feelings about his experience with journal writing:


"How My Journal Made Me A Better Writer....and Quite Possibly Saved my Life" 
by Bob Norton
Bob Norton
If I ever "make it" as a writer, I'll have the grace of God, and my journal to thank. God for the all consuming love of things literary, and my journal for teaching me to honor myself, and to pour that self onto the page.

For years, I had heard of the supposed benefits of keeping a journal. From my high school English teachers, to my therapist, to my Twelve-Step sponsor, to my priest - it seemed that everyone was keeping a journal. Everyone but me, that is. Oh, I had tried it from time to time over the years. But the result was always the same: nauseatingly negative self-pity rants. So I quickly gave it up, each time convinced it was overrated and of no help to me. But behind those thoughts were the ones I didn't want to face: that I didn't want to sound stupid, even to myself, and besides I didn't have anything worth saying anyway.

So life happened, and I wrote very little. (This is where the God part comes in.) Life had gotten very difficult for me to deal with, in so many ways. Addiction issues, job loss, a marriage on the rocks, depression. It seemed to come at me from all angles. I had a spiritual life, a therapy group, good friends, great kids. But nothing was making sense, and I didn't know how to make things better. Sometimes it seemed it would be easier to just end it all.

Many years earlier, my wife gave me a nice hard cover journal for my birthday. "Great!" I thought, "Now I can get writing!" That journal sat in my nightstand drawer for a long time. I would take it out every once in a blue moon and look at it. Once I even made a random entry somewhere in the middle of the book, undated.

For some reason last year, I took it out again. Life seemed unbearable and I needed somewhere to turn. On January 15, 2010 I made my first real entry. It was five pages long. Then on the 18th, I wrote a paragraph. On the 23rd, two pages. On the 30th, two more pages. Something was different this time. I liked what I wrote, and it felt good to write. After that, I wrote somewhat sporadically for a while, but always went back to it. Eventually it became a habit, and for some reason only God knows, it became my sounding board, my outlet, a tool I could use to deal with life, and it awoke within me a real desire to write.

I think my approach to journaling may be a bit unorthodox. I don't write everyday, only when I feel the need to. I never wanted it to become a burden or a harsh discipline, so I've never forced myself to write daily. I usually write once, twice or even three times weekly. I may write for a few days in a row if I'm dealing with something. I'll write anywhere from a few paragraphs to five or six pages, depending on my mood, need, and the time I have available.

I have two rules: be honest, no matter how good, bad or corny it may be. And focus on feelings, not on events. I only write about events insofar as they relate to my feelings. I write about anything and everything and don't censor myself at all, but by following those two rules I keep my journal from being a mere record of events. It took awhile, but eventually I found a method that works for me, and I've been doing it for more than two years.

One thing about keeping a journal is that it allows you to go back a year or two and see what you were thinking and doing in the past. You can easily see your progress, or lack thereof, and how you've changed. I find some of my old entries to be compelling reading, and I have to laugh at some of the stuff I come up with! It often seems like it was written by someone else, and I guess in a way, it was.

The benefits of journaling have been incredible for me. My journal has provided a place where I can be myself, and express myself without fear. Like a good friend, it never judges and is always available. It’s allowed my inner wounds to get out into the light, so they can be healed. It’s helped me to know myself, get in touch with my feelings, and see where I stand on issues and events in my life. It’s made me more whole. It’s given me a voice, a voice I'm learning to trust and love; that voice is me.

Since I have learned to journal well, my writing has grown dramatically. All of the above has made me a better person, but also a better writer. I have limited time to write, but always have time to journal. It has taught me how to express myself and pour my heart out on the page. I have no MFA, no formal training as a writer. But all the college degrees in the world won't help me write better if I don't have heart, honesty, and self-knowledge. I have to work a full time job, but that’s okay. I just do that so I can afford to write. I have the feeling that I'm where I should be right now, as long as I nurture and grow what I've been given. That’s when I'm "making it".

I've noticed that as I grow in life, I grow as a writer. It’s interconnected. Thank you journal for pointing that out to me. Without you, I might not be here.

Bob's Journal
By the way, that journal my wife gave me? I'm still using it, but now it’s dog-eared and the binding is held together by tape. I've handwritten over 330 pages in it. God is good.








GUEST BLOGGER BIO:
Bob Norton, a native New Yorker, lives in Upstate NY with his wife, children, dog, and journal. A lifetime lover of books and writing, Bob continues to learn and grow as a writer, and hopes to turn his journaling into a memoir. This is his first time blogging.

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Bob. And welcome to the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darrelyn! Glad you enjoyed. You know, twenty years ago if you used the word "blogoshphere" you would have gotten some pretty strange looks!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience with journaling. I like to look back at old journals and see the changes (or lack of changes!) I've made. It helps give me perspective.

    And welcome to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Tina! Every so often I go back and read sections of my journal that I wrote a year or two ago, and I'm always amazed at what I wrote, and what I was going through at the time. Its a great way to see the many "selves", the different voices we use when we write, and helps us to know ourselves better. I think that when we look at the past, we tend to do so through the lens of today. Thats all well and good, and normal, but the journal allows us to go back and see exactly what we were feeling at the time. Thats what gives us the perspective you speak of, and thats why its so important to be honest about our thoughts and feelings when journaling. Just have to keep the journal in a safe place! I wrote the following disclaimer on the inside of the front cover of mine: "This is my journal. Out of respect for my privacy, please do not read. I thank you in advance for not reading - nothing in here was written for an audience, and I am not the person I was when I began. So please leave it be, let it rest in peace. Thank you!" Happy journaling!

      Delete
  3. Thank you Sonja! I loved "Ghostbread" and count it as one of my favorite memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments and for taking the time to read my post. In the weeks since I have written it, I have found myself, without any concious effort on my part, to be journaling everyday. I have long wanted the discipline of daily writing, and it seems now I have found that. I am very grateful, and feel that writing the post was instrumental in that it brought to the forefront of my mind just how much of a gift journaling has been for me, and its all the sweeter since the discipline was more of a natural extension of myself, rather than something I forced myself to do tooth and nail. I am very, very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing everyday is a big part of it. Not everyone wants or needs to write (and possibly publish) stories, poems, articles, novels, or books. Sometimes journaling is enough. Sometimes journaling leads to more. Without the practice of daily writing (something, almost anything creative) one will never find out what potential is really there. Thanks for submitting Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Maye! Thank so much for inviting me to write. I enjoyed it!

      Delete
  6. I just came across your blog and it hit me where I'm stuck now - at the point where life isn't making sense. I know I was meant to write, but that's the last thing I'm doing. I've heard that journaling is good, but haven't done it.
    THANK YOU for sharing how you did it and how it's helped!

    Guess that's where God came in for me - through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so sorry I hadn't replied earlier to your comment - I didn't see it until today!

      I can totally relate to what you are saying, and I was in that spot for a very long time. I would constantly think about writing, have ideas for writing, talk about writing, and everything I read inspired me to write, BUT I WASN"T WRITING! Every time I wrote, I wouldn't like it and get discouraged. Thats why jornaling was such a gift for me, because it allowed me to grow, and it gave me a voice. It allowed me to develop as a writer and gave me some confidence. It gave me a reason to write.

      I have just recently filled up my first journal - 2.5 years and 378 pages later. Technically, I have written a book. For me, thats a huge accomplishment. And I hope this is just the beginning. Like you, I feel I was meant to write as well. Its a journey, and everyone travels differently, but we all are going to the same place of self discovery. To me, writing is the best way to learn about myself, and connect with others.

      Thank you so much for sharing about your struggles. Stay in touch! I'd love to see how you are doing. I'm on Facebook, you can look for me there if you'd like. I'm also thinking of starting my own blog at some point.

      Happy writing!

      Delete

Constructive comments and discussions are welcome: